Translate

Monday, June 25, 2012

The results of the endoscopy and PET scan are in. And the winner is...?   Me!  The endoscopy doctor said he did not see any sign of the tumor.  The chemo doctor said the PET scan results of the radiation and chemo combo showed the tumor "disappeared."  Score:  Doctors 2, Cancer 0.  At one point in today’s meeting the doctor said the cancer was "in remission."  I really don't like that term although in cancer parlance it is supposed to be wonderful. In researching my illness which all of us who have cancer do, I discovered there are some doctors who prefer the term "cancer free" instead of "in remission."  I do too.  If you have the flu and get over it, you are medically "disease free."  The illness is over, cured and you hope you do no get it again next year.  I like to think of my cancer that same way.   It's done, cured, get on with your life and stop worrying about it.  If I think of my cancer as "in remission" that implies it is still there, lurking in the shadows, ready to swoop out at any moment to stab me with more cancerous misery. I'd rather not spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder to see if remissive cancer is waiting to pounce.  So if you don't mind, I shall consider myself "disease free."

Sideblog:  Even though the doctors have pronounced me "disease free," the blog goes on.  I still have a lot to say about cancer and the presidential elections are coming up.  Why is it I see a lot of similarities?

4 comments:

Louise Malone said...

YEAH!!!!!! Congratulations Bill! I hope you can celebrate with that drink soon! Your courage, humor, optimism and tenacity have given me (and I assume many others) a new, brave perspective on dealing with dire diagnoses. Thank you so much for all that you have shared online; now I'm looking forward to your political commentaries!!!!
Again, congratulations and good health,
Louise

Wilma said...

Another cure!!! Hurray!

Deb BillingsMorrison said...

Hurray and hallelujah. Thank you Bill for sharing the updates with all of us and for your great attitude. We are glad you will be around a good long, long time.

Deb & Bruce

Bob Raser said...

Bill - This is just so wonderful. I think the sun has been out in CA for a while lately after all the "June gloom" fog filled mornings. I just haven't noticed. Today the sun is really out for me and all the rest of us who love you. Thanks.