Translate

Wednesday, June 06, 2012


In my very first blog post, I noted that lots of people who get cancer think it is a good idea to write about it.  I made no pretence that I had invented a new literary form.  If you Google “cancer blogs” you get over 35 million (that’s what I got tonight).  If you Google esophageal cancer you get 458,000.  If you read them, you are very likely to get depressed.  You will be subjected to descriptions of funerals, tragic family stories of young people with cancer, children with cancer and more explicit detail than you’d ever want to know.  One woman posted images of her scan results and pictures of where the incisions were made in her breast.  If you have esophageal cancer, like me, it is even worse. I did not find any blogs brimming with optimism. Dr. Herman Kattlove, an oncologist, headlined his blog “Esophageal Cancer—Death by Slow Starvation.”  How’s that for getting your attention. Most of them were so dismal I had to read my own blog to cheer myself up. In all honesty, there were some stories of cancer going into remission and pictures with sunny smiles and a t-shirt saying “I’m a cancer survivor.” The cheeriest of all was Mayo Clinic’s which was a string of success stories of how good they are at defeating cancer.  Cancer treatment marketing at its best.  I must admit I have had a few low moments in all of this and tonight's little research trip was no help. I suppose if you don't want to know something  you shouldn't go looking for it. One thing for sure, no more cancer blogs.  (Except mine.)

1 comment:

Sinda Lee Nichols said...

Bill, Keep writing, keep writing, keep writing. I putting forth extra special effort to live in the moment, to focus on what I have, not on what I don't have, and to smile more at the positive aspects just sitting quietly waiting for me to notice them. Thanks so much - The story I'm writing is you get through this, and all is well, and you go on to many more hotdogs, beers and bliss. Sinda