Translate

Monday, June 11, 2012


In 1969, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross introduced the concept of the five stages of grief in her book On Death and Dying.  It was originally intended to apply to how people approach their own death and how those who remain deal with it.  Over the years is has been applied to just about everything from the demise of your pet canary to not getting the latest iPad for your birthday.  You can imagine how pleased I was to discover that, "After terminally ill patients, the group most likely to exhibit the five stages of coping are mediocre golfers."  Yes, how heartening it is to know that mediocre golfers throughout the world are going through exactly the same things I am experiencing with esophageal cancer.  Amazing. (www.mrgolf.com/stages.html)  Just in case you have forgotten what the five stages are, let me refresh your memory:  denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.  Since I have not yet been officially declared terminally ill and I am not a mediocre golfer (I don't golf), I am not exactly sure what stage I am in. Of course, at first I denied it.  Why would a nice guy like me get cancer? Why? Why?  Then I thought "Why not?"  I don't recall cutting any deal with the great unknown for a cancer waiver.  Anger?  Yes I'm sure at one point I felt anger but then I couldn't find any one or thing to be angry at.  Bargaining.  We've all been there.  "Just give me a few extra years and I'll never touch another drink of alcohol again."  Fat chance.  Depression. Believe it or not, I have very little experience with that, so I'll probably have to work on it.  Acceptance.  Do I have a choice?  Maybe I should take up golf.



Sideblogs:  Newspaper stories have sidebars, dinners have side dishes, I will now be offering sideblogs, short quips not long enough for a full post, but on my mind nevertheless.  Here's the first one. 

Philadelphians will appreciate this.  In my never ending attempt to eat solid foods again, I made scrapple for breakfast Sunday. When non-Philadelphians ask me what it is, I tell them the operative syllable is "scrap" or "If you have to ask what it is, you don't want to eat it."  Anyway, I managed to get it down with a minimum of discomfort. It was absolutely delicious.  Four slices of scrapple made my day.  It's the little things.

3 comments:

Louise Malone said...

Hi Bill,
As a Philadelphian I've got to tell you that there are a million Philly Phanatics cheering on your choice of scrapple! My husband Stew loves the stuff, I can't even look at it. His favorite side with scrapple is applesauce, just a suggestion because God knows that will go down your throat a lot easier than the scrapple! Sounds like you are making a lot of progress in swallowing and I hope that's the ticket for getting nutrition and strength back.
Take good care,
Louise

Louise Malone said...

Hi Bill,
As a Philadelphian I've got to tell you that there are a million Philly Phanatics cheering on your choice of scrapple! My husband Stew loves the stuff, I can't even look at it. His favorite side with scrapple is applesauce, just a suggestion because God knows that will go down your throat a lot easier than the scrapple! Sounds like you are making a lot of progress in swallowing and I hope that's the ticket for getting nutrition and strength back.
Take good care,
Louise

Will said...

Bill, Reading your blog lets me add grateful to the list of emotions. My Colon cancer was simple compared to what you're going through. They just cut it out. Never-the-less, like the mediocre golfers, I went through the stages, or should say am going through. The Acceptance is on the horizon. Like you, I've not dealt much with the Depression one. It hit, if you need a shoulder, give me a call, I'm just down the road.