Translate

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

How do you react when the doctor tells you you are disease free (okay, he said "in remission")? I did not have one of those standing-on-a-mountaintop-legs-spread-wide-arms-stretched-to-the-sky-gazing-at-a-glorious-sunrise-breaking-over-the-horizon-while-angelic-choral-music-swelled-in-the-background moments.  No. I said, "Are you sure?"  My first reaction was disbelief.  Could there be some mistake?  Is it really, really gone?  Are you kidding me?  The doctor was adamant, the tumor is gone.  I am still trying to accept that.  After just about four months, it's gone.  I had heard stories from friends and on the internet about six months, eight months, a year or more chemo treatments and I was astonished my ordeal was over so quickly. Of course, they were "aggressive" as clinics like to describe their treatments.  From day one:  Radiation five days a week for five and a half weeks, chemo in a pump I wore 24/7 injecting cancer poison into me, and five hours of chemo at the clinic every three weeks. Actually, I had the last five hours of chemo boredom yesterday.  I guess that was the "one for the road" treatment. I would like to thank all my friends who responded to yesterday's post with their obvious joy that I came through this.  I can't tell you how much it meant to me.  My friend Catherine Henry sent me a link to Ray Charles singing "Hit the Road, Jack, and Don't You Come Back No More."  Very appropriate. I've been humming it all day

3 comments:

David Tudor said...

Bill,
Congratulations. Get to a Suns game an have one of those Tsinglings and a bratwurst dog, easy on the mustard for a while I suppose. It's the fireworks that are really appropriate. You and Bronwen can keep the scrapple. Great news.
David

David Tudor said...

Bill,
Congratulations. Get to a Suns game an have one of those Tsinglings and a bratwurst dog, easy on the mustard for a while I suppose. It's the fireworks that are really appropriate. You and Bronwen can keep the scrapple. Great news.
David

Burt said...

Now get that esophagus in shape to take one Pat's Philly Cheese steak sandwiches--'wit'!