Translate

Wednesday, August 08, 2012


Some of my blog readers seemed to have preferred cancer to politics so here is an update for my cancer fans.  My last chemotherapy five-hour session was June 25 which is over a month ago.  To misquote Yogi Berra, It ain’t over even if you think it’s over.  Chemotherapy does not let you off that easily.  Now I am having side effects lite.  I wake up at least three or four times a night with dry mouth, I get tired in the late afternoon,  energy levels are still a little low, swallowing is problematical at times and my hair is not growing in and probably won’t until September according to the doctor.  If one more well meaning person tells me my bald head looks terrific and I should keep it that way I shall go berserk.  Funny thing is, all during this esophageal ordeal my friends kept telling me how good I looked.  At one point I felt guilty for not looking like I should drop dead any minute. I am not proposing a new diet but I think what I ate had something to do with it.    I read vitamin A boosts the immune system so I must have eaten two or three pounds of carrots or sweet potatoes a week (pureed so I could swallow).  Throw in at least two eggs a day, lots of milk and a generous amount of spinach.  Another side effect is loss of appetite.  So I decided to eat whether I was hungry or not. So there, chemo.   Now that the tumor is gone my doctors told me to eat well, exercise, don’t smoke and don’t drink.  I figure three out of four is pretty good.  So I have invented a new drink, the Bloody Peter Rabbit.   Here it is:  2 ounces of vodka, 3 ounces of carrot juice, 3 ounces of V8 low sodium.  I mean how many cocktails do you know that boost your immune system?

No comments: