Translate

Sunday, July 29, 2012


Why do rich people hate to pay taxes?  Since I have never been rich, I have never been able to relate to how rich people think.  Most of us--that is the non-rich--are content with having sufficient enough income to satisfy our needs--food, clothing, shelter--with maybe a little extra for some fun things, like the movies.  I must admit I have been fortunate and never been in desperate straights even when I was "downsized" (read fired) from a well paying marketing job because the company wanted to save money by dumping the older guys.  I was on welfare (unemployment insurance) for four months before buying, on credit, a small business.  Throughout all my working life I had some dumb idea that good citizens paid their taxes so their government could provide needed services.  Now I find that if you have lots of money, your only objective is to get more money and avoid paying taxes on it.  Some people, like presidential candidates, hide their money in off-shore accounts to avoid a tax bill and other spend huge amounts of money to elect a president who says he wont raise taxes.  Sheldon Adelson is worth about $25 billion and vows he will spend $100 million to defeat Obama. The Koch brothers who are worth $50 billion have pledged $50 million to defeat him.  If I had $50 billion would a few million more or less in taxes really make much of a difference in my life style?  I guess supporting your government by paying a fair amount of taxes is not the way very rich people and corporations think.

No comments: