Translate

Wednesday, May 23, 2012


Now that I have a two-week respite from chemotherapy and they have stopped dropping the atomic bomb on my esophagus, I have time to reflect on things philosophical like what terminology does one use when discussing cancer.  If you have never had cancer you probably never thought about what words to use to tell people you are cancerous.  (No, you wouldn't use that word which makes it sound like you're infectious. "Watch it! I'm cancerous!)  The most acceptable declaration is, "I've got (or have) cancer."  This is generic and can apply to anything from a common cold, the flu, small pox or leprosy."  It is the all-purpose sickness response.  You can't say, for example: "I've come down with a cancer."  "Well, I caught a cancer last week."  "Oh, I've got a touch of cancer." My preferred answer is "I have been diagnosed with cancer."  That sounds more classy and dignified.  It implies somebody extremely smart and well paid, based on scientific evidence has established that some of your cells have gone berserk and are unmercifully destroying your body from within. Now, that's class. You would never say "I have been diagnosed with dandruff." So you see, not only do you have to put up with all the miserable crap cancer bestows upon you, you also have to figure out a way to talk about it.  (More about this when I discuss the "war" on cancer in a future blog.)

4 comments:

BKB said...

Great visit today! You are winning the 'war' on all fronts. I know where I can get a slightly used "Mission Accomplished" banner when you are ready.

Barbara Ryan said...

I had no idea that you were such a wonderful writer. Barbara Ryan

David Tudor said...

I favor saying, "I have 'a' cancer" adding "in the ___ "(esophagus in your case) for more detail. It's a single instance.

Our note from Linda indicated all this was found from a high PSA test. My Dr. talked me out of a PSA test at my very recent physical, even after I had the extra blood drawn when I found it was not on the list of tests to do. Too many false positives. They fixate on cholesterol and sugar. Did it play a role in finding this or were there other markers in the blood test?

I always thought you were something of an egg head (where did you go to school? :-) Thus our discussions on eubonics. So this missing hair is in character. Your insights here are perceptive and having me LOL!!

Sinda Lee Nichols said...

Thank you so much for writing about your experience - yes, I'm "enjoying" reading - I can hear your voice so clearly. Your outlook, determination and humor are all inspiring - thank you.