Translate

Wednesday, May 30, 2012


My cancer is in the throat, esophageal cancer to be specific.  Therefore, I have to refer to it as pain in the "neck", because literally and figuratively that's where it is.  I would like to refer to it as a pain in somewhere else, but that description rightfully belongs to those with colon, prostate and rectal cancer.  Cancer gives you lots of things to complain about.  After a while, you develop a hierarchy of complaints.  So here, ladies and gentlemen, is my top ten list of complaints about my cancer: No 10—Trying to keep track of which medicine to take when.  No. 9--The "port" implanted in my chest just below my right collarbone.  It looks like a big, permanent, ugly boil. No. 8--Driving 80 miles round trip to Jacksonville for radiation five days a week for five and a half weeks. No. 7--Dry, itchy skin on my back, hands and arms with a little crispier on my chest. No.6-- Falling asleep for up to three hours in the middle of the day.  No. 5--Being attached to a drip bag of chemo chemicals in the clinic for five hours every three weeks. No. 4--Wearing a chemo pump on my belt and pajamas 24 hours a day, seven days a week to pump even more toxins into me. No. 3-- Constipation (I will not even describe what agony this can bring.) No. 2--Radiation induced sore throat and swallowing pain (somewhat above constipation). No. 1--And the number one complaint I have with my cancer is...chemo induced Mouth Sores which even can exceed swallowing pain and keep me up all night.



I can’t eat, I can’t drink, I can’t talk. For those who know me, we are talking this is hell!

1 comment:

Burt said...

I can do number#8 for I have a current driver's license. Who knows, perhaps you can complain about my driving for one of your top #10.