Translate

Monday, November 07, 2016


VOTE!
My generation was taught that voting was not only a right of citizenship but also an obligation to participate in our democracy.  If you don’t vote, you are not only renouncing one of your most important rights, you are also shirking your responsibility to participate in our governmental system.

Many people have stated they will demonstrate their contempt for both candidates, and the distrust and hatred towards the system one of them has instilled in the public mind by not voting or by writing in someone who has no chance of winning.  That’s a cop out.  There are only two viable candidates.  Whether you like it or not, one of them will be elected and determine the policies and direction for our country for you, your children and grandchildren for years to come.

Unfortunately, this election has been a disgrace of name calling, character assignation, lies, and innuendos, marred by racism, bigotry and vulgarity.  It certainly is not worthy of the America I grew up in.  But it’s what we’ve got right now and you can’t change that.  So if you go around after the election bragging that you did not vote for anyone or you wrote in “Mickey Mouse,” don’t expect any admiration from me or anyone else who still believes, no matter how many flaws there may be in our Democracy, it is still the best form of government and the one I want to live with.

Anyone who has read my blogs and postings knows i will not vote for a man who has systematically torn town and disdained our country and it's institutions and values. So I will express my opinion with my ballot. The ballot is also the way for you to express yours.
 
Tomorrow I will exercise my right, my responsibility and my obligation and I hope all of you do as well.

No comments: