Translate

Monday, November 12, 2018

Raser’s Edge: Compassion anyone?

As everyone who has been awake over the last week knows, California has been hit with unbelievably devastating forest fires killing scores of people, destroying thousands of homes and tens of thousands of forest lands.

And in typical fashion, our boorish president, rather than extend sympathy and compassion to the thousands of Californians enduring this catastrophe, he tweets: “There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor. Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now or no more Fed payments!” In other words, because he hates California, he has to blame the state and make it a political, rather than compassionate response.
 
Now let’s pose a hypothetical situation. Let’s say I posted this: “On Wednesday, I have to go to Baptist Medical Center Jacksonville for another surgery to remove melanoma from my right lung. Just like the California wild fires, I keep getting these things and this is the third surgery to take another melanoma out of my lungs.” *

Now let’s say one of my Facebook friends (let’s call him Bozo) sent me this reply: “There is no reason for you to keep getting these recurring melanoma events. If you had had better sun exposure management in your youth instead of going to the beach every summer, and if you had not moved to Florida to retire and go to the beach where there is sun, and therefore grossly mismanaged your life, you would not have these problems. The remedy now is no more Fed payments for your Medicare.”

Hopefully, many of you will get my point. I doubt very much that my Trumpist Facebook friends will have any idea what I am talking about.

*This is actually true. I am having my third lung surgery this week.

No comments: