Translate

Tuesday, December 16, 2014


At this time of year we are exposed to many emotional, inspirational and heartwarming stories related to the season.  Some are pure fiction, some are mushy, outlandish or unbelievable.  But, some are true like the one I have to tell.  During the Thanksgiving week, my wife and I visited New York City.  We went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to see the fantastic Angel Tree and Nativity (also the Cubist Exhibition and Thomas Struth Photography).  At the Museum store, Linda bought a large cut-out nativity based on the Angel Tree display.  When we got home, she discovered the box was empty. 
 

I called the Museum Store the following Saturday and spoke to a young man who was on duty that day.  I explained that the box was evidently the one for the display piece and my wife accidently picked it up instead of a full one.   Obviously, there was no way I could prove this and I had no intention of trying to convince the sales associate to send me another one free.  Because Linda was so disappointed I just wanted to surprise her by purchasing a new one.   Fortunately, I had the empty box with the item number so I could identify what I wanted.  He asked, “What day were you here?”  That was easy as I had the entrance receipt.  “Do you have your wife’s credit card receipt?”  No, I didn’t and I had no way of finding it because she was out (which is why I was calling at that time).  Then he asked, “Did she buy anything else?”  Yes, she did and the box of Christmas cards, also based on the Angel Tree was on her desk.  I gave him the item number on the back of the box, and he said with the date of visit and that purchase information he could track it down.

As you have guessed, the new Nativity arrived in the mail yesterday.  In these days of so much hatred, animosity, antagonism and doubt, it was nice to see that sometimes honesty and trust can still work.   I have no idea who the young man was except for the entry on the packing slip that said, “Sales Associate 33469”

So to Sales Associate 33469, thank you and Merry Christmas!
 
 
 

No comments: