Translate

Wednesday, January 01, 2014


Today we celebrate the arrival of a new year.  We also acknowledge the ending of an old one.  Every media outlet, whether print or electronic, likes to review the past year and make predictions about the next.  One of the reviews most media make of the year past is the names and stories of prominent people who expired.  I am always pleased when I am not on that list.  Although it would be nice to be a prominent person I am pleased to not qualify under the second requirement--I did not expire.  Considering the cancerous events I have experienced in the last few years missing the expired list one more time is no small accomplishment.  Going into the New Year I am optimistic at least about my longevity.  According to statistical studies, the life expectancy for an American male is 78.7 years and I have not yet used up my allotment.  So, I am looking forward to another year.  Unlike the media, I am not going to make any predictions because I want to start the new year on a positive note. No matter how rotten the past year was, we always like to think the next year will be better. So I will start my new year on an optimistic note until, of course, the U.S. Congress reconvenes.  Oh well optimism will be fun while it lasts and hope springs eternal.  Happy (but don’t count on it) New Year.  

No comments: